Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
hgh voltage
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
hgh voltage
Use Goodbye Spammer on blaqkout.
Just a quick question, I have a 2001 1500 lt and the voltage has started reading high. Typically up around 17-18 volts. Middle of the gauge is 14 so I'm a little concerned with the voltage being that high.

Is this indicative of a failing alternator or just a bad voltage regulator? What's the easiest or cheapest way to to test it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
RE: hgh voltage
Start the truck and put a voltage meter on alternater output post and a good negative ground. See if the voltage is really that high, as what you are seeing on the dash, might not be real. Could be a bad gauge. If they both read high, it could be a bad voltage reg.

2003 Silverado Z71
Short Bed 5.3L 4x4
10-27-2012, 06:28 AM
(10-11-2012 02:59 PM)Tdlimited Wrote:  Start the truck and put a voltage meter on alternater output post and a good negative ground. See if the voltage is really that high, as what you are seeing on the dash, might not be real. Could be a bad gauge. If they both read high, it could be a bad voltage reg.

Sorry for the late reply.

I tested the volts coming out of the battery and it was at 17volts. I then tested the volts coming out of the alternator and I was getting 17.5-18volts. Way too high. Lastly I ran a battery tester on the vehicle while it was off and it failed the test. Showed 81% charged but 16volts output while the vehicle was off.

So, a bad battery for sure. I've never seen a bad battery spit out too many volts and push the electrical charging system like this. According to a mechanic friend of mine, it happens though it's not too common.

I'm off to buy a battery and hope no damage was done to the voltage regulator or the alternator.

thanks for the tip
10-27-2012, 10:43 AM
My 2002 had the voltage reg. take a poop. It would go up so high that the truck would just sut off. Chevy has it shut the truck off before it can damage anything. I would not worry as long as you fix it.