Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Silverado 1500 Towing economy questions
06-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Silverado 1500 Towing economy questions
Use Goodbye Spammer on ericp.
We have a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Ext cab LT, the so-called "All Star Edition" with 5.3L V8, 6 spd auto, 3.42 rear end, with the trailering package including trailer brake controller and 10K-lb hitch and HD cooling package. According to the manual the maximum trailer weight rating is 9600 lbs.

We are looking at travel trailers in the 27-ft+ range. One in particular is 31 ft and has a gross weight (not empty weight) rating of 7800 lbs. We hope to keep it under 8000 lbs gross.

I'm hoping that there is some one on this forum reading this note that has a roughly similar setup and can tell me what I can expect for performance and especially fuel mileage. We currently have a 1991 Winnebago Warrior Class C motorhome on a V-6 Toyota chassis that we have had for 10-12 years and so we are accustomed to rigs that won't get out of their own way. I'm happy with having to hug the granny lane at under, say, 60 mph to keep things within reasonable temperature ranges (that's our personal speed limit with the Toyota and it seems to work OK most of the time). What I'm hoping is that we can achieve reasonable fuel mileage while doing it, otherwise we'll need to forget the whole thing and keep what we have.

So... can any of you give me some MPG figures with and without the trailer in tow?

Thanks...

Rick in NH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2012, 11:10 AM
RE: Silverado 1500 Towing economy questions
No clue for sure. But I can say I had a 2002 4.3 V-6 5speed 4X4 with 3.73 gears. It got about 12 MPG snow plowing part time. So I would think a V-8 with a trailer would be about 9 ish on flat ground.Undecided
06-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I have pulled close to that weight in band equipment for my brother more than once this summer with the same truck. Traveled aournd 65mph and was getting around 11 -12 mpgs. Mine also has a leveling kit on it which reduces my fuel economy pulling a trailer (not that you will see any better). The truck has no problem pulling that kind of weight. Just excpect it to shift gears often. The 6 speed is a lot different than the 5 speed.

Dream big, go bigger!
2010 Z71 1500 Silverado LT
Leveling Kit
K&N Air Filter
Alpine Head Unit
2 x 12" Pioneer's
MTX 1600 Mono Amp
06-19-2012, 02:35 PM
I have just bought a 2012 crew cab with the same setup as yours and the the 4x4 offroad. It's also the 5.3. My tow cap is 10600. I haul a 7000 dry weight 30 ft travel trailer. Well after the first 1000 mile break in. It drove nicely, though I noticed it lacked the power climbing the hills! my Nissan Titan did much better so I am disappointed. A weight distribution hitch is also a must. The back end sags a lot more than my Titan again so the new hitch helped. I'm thinking of getting a chip. I don't like the lack of power when I call for it and I'm still yet to see the better supposed gas mileage yet. Figuring its still to new. It drives smooth though. Sorry it still to new to tell you towing mileage also but will keep you posted. How are you liking yours.

(06-11-2012 05:52 AM)ericp Wrote:  We have a 2011 Silverado 1500 4WD Ext cab LT, the so-called "All Star Edition" with 5.3L V8, 6 spd auto, 3.42 rear end, with the trailering package including trailer brake controller and 10K-lb hitch and HD cooling package. According to the manual the maximum trailer weight rating is 9600 lbs.

We are looking at travel trailers in the 27-ft+ range. One in particular is 31 ft and has a gross weight (not empty weight) rating of 7800 lbs. We hope to keep it under 8000 lbs gross.

I'm hoping that there is some one on this forum reading this note that has a roughly similar setup and can tell me what I can expect for performance and especially fuel mileage. We currently have a 1991 Winnebago Warrior Class C motorhome on a V-6 Toyota chassis that we have had for 10-12 years and so we are accustomed to rigs that won't get out of their own way. I'm happy with having to hug the granny lane at under, say, 60 mph to keep things within reasonable temperature ranges (that's our personal speed limit with the Toyota and it seems to work OK most of the time). What I'm hoping is that we can achieve reasonable fuel mileage while doing it, otherwise we'll need to forget the whole thing and keep what we have.

So... can any of you give me some MPG figures with and without the trailer in tow?

Thanks...

Rick in NH
06-25-2012, 04:01 PM
OK, 2010 5.3, crew cab, 3.42 rear, trailer package. Towed our 31' ultra lite travel trailer empty weight of 6000#. We had approximately 1000# personal camping weight for a total
of 7000#. Traveled from Des Moines, Ia to Oklahoma City then west on I-40 to Kingman, AZ then up Las Vegas, NV. Got 7.3 MPG. Very dissappointed. No power and most of trip in
4th gear, some of time in 5th at best. Only trying to maintain 65 mph and stay out of everybodys way. Truck had 10k miles at start. Towing weight advertised for this combination
is 9500#. Empty driving at 70-75 mph on interstate only gets 17mpg. Window sticker states 21 mpg. False advertising Chevy. Other than that a beautiful truck.
06-26-2012, 07:37 AM
I feel your pain, I swapped over from a Nissan Titan and starting to regret it. A HUGE loss in power and grunt! Stock 5.3 2012 crew cab 4x4 with tow cap of 10,700. Went up the usual hill on the way to the local lake and she was losing speed towing our 30ft trailer. My 5.6 2010 titan on the other hand was a crew cab 4x4 with a tow cap of 9500 and hauled ass up the hill and kept climbing. not to mention quick to go off a stop and for overtaking. Today I had a small load in the back coming down the hwy and really noticed the lack of power. Im starting to regret to change to silverado! and fuel economy is no better than the titan regardless what the dealer has said. ANY advice anyone.

(06-25-2012 04:01 PM)red70judge Wrote:  OK, 2010 5.3, crew cab, 3.42 rear, trailer package. Towed our 31' ultra lite travel trailer empty weight of 6000#. We had approximately 1000# personal camping weight for a total
of 7000#. Traveled from Des Moines, Ia to Oklahoma City then west on I-40 to Kingman, AZ then up Las Vegas, NV. Got 7.3 MPG. Very dissappointed. No power and most of trip in
4th gear, some of time in 5th at best. Only trying to maintain 65 mph and stay out of everybodys way. Truck had 10k miles at start. Towing weight advertised for this combination
is 9500#. Empty driving at 70-75 mph on interstate only gets 17mpg. Window sticker states 21 mpg. False advertising Chevy. Other than that a beautiful truck.
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Well from what I am reading it looks like the new 5.3 is like the old chevy 305 (5.0) a gutless wonder but will get the job done. I have a 6.0 more power then I need.